Shilo Sanders’ .89M Bankruptcy Trial Pulls In Deion Sanders To Testify, But His Son’s Side Didn’t Call Him

Shilo Sanders’ $11.89M Bankruptcy Trial Pulls In Deion Sanders To Testify, But His Son’s Side Didn’t Call Him



Deion Sanders is being pulled from the football sideline into a federal courtroom as his son Shilo Sanders fights to discharge an $11.89 million judgment that has followed him for years.

According to USA TODAY Sports, the Colorado football coach has been subpoenaed as a witness for Shilo’s bankruptcy trial, which is scheduled to begin August 31 in Denver and could continue through September 4. More importantly, the reporting makes clear which side is seeking his testimony. The Deion Sanders subpoena was requested by an attorney for John Darjean, the plaintiff and creditor trying to stop Shilo from wiping away the judgment.

During an August 14 pretrial conference, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Michael E. Romero acknowledged the development, according to USA TODAY Sports. “I noticed Deion was subpoenaed,” Romero said. The judge then directly questioned Darjean’s attorney, Ori Raphael, about what he intended to ask Deion if he takes the witness stand. That exchange is significant because Deion is not being called as a witness for Shilo’s defense. Darjean’s side requested his appearance and believes information he has about what happened before the confrontation could matter when the court weighs Shilo’s intent.

The status of the subpoena’s service has also drawn attention. The Associated Press reported that a Boulder County Sheriff’s Office deputy went to the University of Colorado campus on August 11 with civil papers but was unable to personally serve Deion because he was unavailable. The sheriff’s office said Deion’s legal counsel later indicated that counsel could receive the papers for him, but because the attorneys were outside Boulder County, the paperwork was transferred to Denver for service. The AP did not report that the service process had been completed as of August 19.

The reason behind the Deion Sanders subpoena goes back to September 17, 2015, when Shilo was 15. According to USA TODAY Sports, Darjean was working as a security guard at Shilo’s Dallas-area school when a confrontation erupted over Shilo’s cellphone. Darjean has said Deion instructed him to confiscate the phone and that Shilo then punched him and swung an elbow into his neck area, aggravating an existing spinal injury. Shilo has maintained that he was defending himself.

Deion did not witness the physical confrontation, but his alleged involvement immediately before it is why Darjean’s attorneys believe his testimony is relevant. USA TODAY Sports reported that Romero noted Deion was allegedly speaking with Darjean shortly before the incident. “That conversation may be relevant,” the judge said. That makes the Deion Sanders subpoena less about what he personally saw and more about what instructions were given, what Deion knew at the time, and what circumstances surrounded the dispute over Shilo’s phone.

The family situation may become especially important because Shilo’s state of mind remains one of the unresolved questions. According to The Sporting News, Shilo’s position is expected to include the argument that losing access to his phone could have cut off communication with his mother, Pilar Sanders, during a period of conflict between his parents. Darjean’s attorney has indicated that he wants Deion questioned about those circumstances and earlier events involving Shilo. Raphael said of Deion’s potential testimony, “It connects the dots completely.”

The case did not begin in bankruptcy court. Court reporting reviewed by USA TODAY Sports shows Darjean sued Shilo and his parents in 2016. Deion and Pilar were later dismissed from the case, leaving Shilo as the remaining defendant. Shilo parted ways with his attorneys in 2020 and did not appear when the Texas case went to trial in 2022. Darjean presented his evidence without a defense case being presented, and the court entered a default judgment of $11.89 million against Shilo.

Shilo later filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy after Darjean began collection efforts, according to an official order from the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Colorado. Darjean then brought an adversary proceeding asking the bankruptcy court to rule that the judgment cannot be discharged. That distinction matters because the August 31 proceeding is not simply a second trial over whether an $11.89 million judgment exists.

The bankruptcy court has already narrowed what remains to be decided. In its January 27, 2026 order, the court said the Texas judgment has collateral estoppel effect regarding causation and damages. However, Judge Romero ruled that the previous judgment did not settle the separate questions of whether Shilo committed a willful act, caused a malicious injury, or acted in self-defense. The judge found genuine factual disputes surrounding the confrontation and Shilo’s state of mind, including whether he intended to injure Darjean and whether his conduct was justified. Those unanswered questions are why the case is going to trial instead of ending on summary judgment.

Under 11 U.S.C. § 523(a)(6), the Legal Information Institute at Cornell Law School notes that bankruptcy does not discharge a debt arising from a “willful and malicious injury” caused by a debtor to another person or their property. That legal standard puts Shilo’s intent at the center of the bankruptcy fight. If Darjean proves that the judgment falls under that exception, the $11.89 million debt would survive Shilo’s bankruptcy. Shilo’s self-defense argument, on the other hand, challenges the claim that the injury resulted from conduct that meets that standard.

The timing adds another layer to the Deion Sanders subpoena. USA TODAY Sports reported that Colorado is scheduled to open its season at Georgia Tech on September 3, directly inside the bankruptcy trial window. Romero acknowledged that conflict during the pretrial conference, saying, “I’m also concerned there’s a game: CU’s first game is that same week.” Whether Deion ultimately appears on a particular day will depend on how the subpoena and trial schedule are handled, but the overlap gives a decades-old family legal battle the potential to collide directly with Colorado’s opening week.

For Darjean’s side, however, Deion’s football schedule does not change the central reason it wants him in court. The bankruptcy court has already said Shilo’s intent and possible justification must be resolved at trial, and Darjean’s attorneys believe Deion possesses firsthand information about the phone call, the instruction to confiscate Shilo’s phone, and the family circumstances immediately surrounding the confrontation. That is why the Deion Sanders subpoena could become one of the most closely watched pieces of testimony as the court decides whether Shilo can leave the $11.89 million judgment behind or remain responsible for it.



Source link

Leave a Reply